Selected projects of SECO in trade policy development:
- Sponsoring Advisory Centre on WTO Law (ACWL), Geneva;
- Sponsoring scholarships at the World Trade Institute (WTI) , Switzerland;
- Creation of regional competence centres for trade policy in Peru, South Africa and Vietnam; World Trade Institute (WTI)
- Cotton Initiative: Strengthening capacities for the WTO negotiations on cotton for the C-4 (Benin, Burkina Faso. Mali, Chad), 2003-12
- IDEAS Centre: Advocacy, technical assistance and capacity building for delegations in Geneva;
- UN Trade Cluster Programme, Lao PDR, 2010 – 2014; UNCTAD, UNIDO, ITC, ILO
At the bilateral level, SECO supports partner countries in formulating and asserting their own needs so that they can achieve results in trade negotiations. Assistance in understanding and applying the WTO Agreement plays a central role in this.
- Policy Advice to Peru and Colombia through the IDB Strategic Thematic Fund on Aid for Trade, 2010 – 2013 - IDB.
WTO Doha Development Agenda Global Trust Fund (DDAGTF)
Switzerland has contributed CHF 1.6 Mio tothe DDAGTF for the period 2012-2013 to finance trade-related technical assistance to developing countries so that they are able to participate more effectively in the Doha Round of multilateral trade negotiations.
For more information about this programme, see the DDAGTF entry for Switzerland and http://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/devel_e/teccop_e/financing_trta_e.htm#contributions
SECO carries out a range of activities to support partner countries in their WTO accession negotiations. The support focuses on: (i) policy advice and negotiating strategy; (ii) preparation for working parties; and (iii) process management support at the domestic level. SECO continues its support of partner countries after their accession to the WTO. Often there is a need to reinforce their capacities in the field of trade policy. To offer this service, SECO supports Geneva-based organizations specialising in legal advice and training in WTO matters.
- Support for Laos’ accession to the WTO; 2007 – 2012, Ideas Centre;
- Tajikistan: WTO Accession.