Environment and climate change
Active in the area of climate change for well over a decade, ITU is now making climate change a key priority, with strategies to:
Reduce the environmental impact of climate change through:
- The creation of a standard methodology for calculating carbon footprint;
- The promotion of next-generation networks (NGNs) (reducing power consumption by up to 40%);
- Publishing online rather than in print.
Harness the power of ICTs through:
- Remote collaboration;
- Intelligent transport systems;
- Sensor-based networks based on RFID and telemetry.
Monitor climate change by:
- Conducting and managing studies on remote-sensing;
- Providing key climate data via radio-based applications.
For more information: http://www.itu.int/themes/climate/